ACMS PTO Meeting Summary
November 15, 2017, 2017 - Meetings are generally on the 3rd Wednesday of the month
(except next time, on December 13)
Meeting called to order at 7:45
Present: Hien Larson, Stephanie Bragg, Kari Chalstrom, Jenifer Standteiner, Coral Cavanagh, Susie
Overall, Yvonne Moore, Marie Desmond, Jenny Suh, Stacy Russell, Sue Steph, Lisa Laliotis
Approval of last Meeting Summary – Coral Cavanagh, Secretary
• Last meeting’s summary was approved.
• Draft meeting summaries will be on the ACMS PTO website.
• Cougar News this week will include PTO website link, Boxtops receptacle location, teaser for fall
fundraiser, and reminder for next meeting
Treasurer’s Report – Jennifer Standteiner, Treasurer
• Current bank balance $4,804.
• Recent expenditures for the Honor Roll breakfast and Teacher’s luncheons.
• Our budget shows the following estimated expenses based on limited info from last year:
o Class funding at $3,000 per class
o Arts for Schools at about $700
o Honor Roll Breakfasts at about $200 each
• Open House in April will have some up-front expenses
• Our current planned fundraisers are the fall fundraiser and the spring Open House.
• Contacting the Leadership Group to ask for student help – request that students do the
entering, bundling, and sending the boxtops
This is our idea for a fun, social night for the students, with some minor potential for fundraising.
• Permission from the movie production company is required; typically issued as permission for
• We will look into licensing: what you get, how much it will cost, etc.
• We can’t charge admission, but could charge for food and ask for donations.
• Could do a bake sale.
• Plan for January
• Is there potential for involving some of the kids? Social committee/chairs?
• Ask Leadership to include a call for volunteers in their bulletin.
• PTO insurance should cover this.
Principal’s Update - Hien Larson
• The Summer Reading Challenge reward field trip (to the rec pool) is coming up. This is for kids
that read 3 or more books (took AT tests) over the summer. 50 or 60 kids earned the field trip!
• Snow day automated calls: automatically 6 a.m. Call office if you want to be on the 5 a.m. call.
• Nordic is starting, with lots of kids involved. Equipment day is Thursday the 16th. Great coaches
this year!! Boots needed. Classic waxless skis needed. Wax needed. Coaches will ask for these
• Volleyball tryouts going on soon. Tryouts are fairly competitive!
• Homework club going along well, with good attendance. Support is offered at homework club
Tues/Thurs 2:30-3:30 p.m. in the library. Teachers are present and they help with English, social
studies, math, and science.
• Next Dance - December 1st
• Boys and Girls Club is fundraising and has been working with ACMS to run an after-school
program next year.
o In the meantime, teachers are only available Tues/Thurs for an after-school program.
o Hien is meeting with Parks and Rec regarding how we can partner with them and what
they can do during the interim, before the Boys and Girls club comes in.
§ Perhaps P&R could run activities at some times, including minimum days (e.g.,
open the pool, ice skating).
§ Corporate sponsors might be a possibility; however, Boys and Girls Club has
already reached out for funding from many.
o Need a teen center to be open until 6 p.m.
o Because ACMS is seeking a partnership with P&R for this year, PTO can table the Cougar
Club idea for now and shift its focus to funding class field trips and the movie night.
• The school still needs a big projector.
o If we can describe how this helps meet educational goals, Ex in Ed or another donor
might be more likely to help fund it.
• “Cue balls,” (easily sharable microphones) were approved by Ex in Ed for every classroom.
• Follow the ACMS Facebook page for up-to-date info and announcements.
Co-Presidents’ Discussion - Stephanie Bragg and Kari Chalstrom
We discussed the following regarding the fall fundraiser:
• Could we offer tamales as a raffle prize for donors, with everyone who donates having a raffle
entry to win a great prize, like a tamale dinner?
• Need a fall fundraiser committee head.
• We will send out a fundraising email and a paper handout.
• Send out email blasts once per week for three weeks.
• PTO will set up a PayPal account for receiving donations.
o For non-profits, the fee is 2.2% plus $0.30 per transaction; much better than the
(effective 6%) fee we’re getting hit with now.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 a.m.
Next meeting is December 13 at 7:45 a.m.
The next PTO meeting is Thursday, November 12th at 10am via Zoom.